Frequently Asked Questions

You may use the links below to easily navigate to various Frequently Asked Questions .

Casework questions

Social Security and Medicare questions

Veterans benefits questions

Passport questions

Immigration questions

Casework questions

Q: Who can open a case with your office?

A: My office can open a case for you if you live within the 32nd Congressional District. If you are unsure about which district you live in, please visit so you can enter your address and zip code to determine who is your Congressional Representative.

Q: The federal agency has denied my claim/application. Can you overturn the decision?

A: My office cannot compel any agency to decide an issue in your favor or to overturn a final decision. However, my office can make an inquiry on your behalf about the status of a pending case or ask for clarification on the reasons for a denial.

Q: Can you help me expedite my claim or application with a federal agency?

A: My office cannot expedite any claim under any circumstance. However, each federal agency has its own set of criteria for expediting cases and my staff can help find out what options are available to you.

Q: Can you help me with problems involving State or Local agencies?

As a federal representative I can only make inquiries involving federal agencies. If your case involves a state or local agency, please contact your state or local government representative for assistance.

Q: Can you help me with my legal case or court hearing?

A: Due to the constitutional separation of powers between the three branches of government, judicial matters (issues involving the courts) do not fall under my jurisdiction as a Member of Congress. House ethics rules also prohibit me from acting as an attorney or providing legal advice to you.

Q: Can you help me resolve problems I am having with a neighbor, coworker, or private business?

A: I am regretfully unable to directly intervene in private disputes between individuals, businesses, or other independent entities.  However, I am more than happy to provide you with available programs and resources that may be helpful in pursuing such complaints.

Back to the top.


Social Security and Medicare
My office can help you with determining your eligibility for Social Security, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), and Medicare benefits.

Back to the top.


Veterans Benefits

  • My office can assist you with receiving benefits, eligibility determination, and replacement of medals earned.
  • Would you like to apply for veterans benefits? Use VONAPP to apply online.

Would you like to appeal a decision? Find out how at the Board of Veterans Appeals.
» More Information for Veterans

Back to the top.


We can help you expedite your passport application in an emergency, report a lost passport, and monitor overseas travel restrictions.

Back to the top.


My office can help with immigration petitions, adjustments of status, naturalization, and non-immigrant petitions that have been delayed or lost.

  • Do you need to schedule an appointment with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)? Use InfoPass to make an appointment online.
  • Are you wondering when an immigrant visa will become available to you or a family member? You can find out by reviewing the State Department's Visa Bulletin.
  • Do you need to find out how to file an application with USCIS? Go to Forms and Fees (836KB PDF) on the USCIS Web site.
  • Do you have other general questions about immigration and naturalization? Find an answer on theUSCIS Frequently Asked Questions web page.

Back to the top.