Rep. Judy Chu Announces 2012 Service Academy Nominees
EL MONTE – Congresswoman Judy Chu, D-El Monte, announced today the names of eight young constituents from the 32nd Congressional District that she will be submitting for nominations to our nation’s Service Academies.
The 2012 32nd District Service Academy Nominees are:
• Kevin Graham McKelvey, of West Covina. Mr. McKelvey attends South Hills High School and will be nominated to the Merchant Marine Academy.
• Christopher Caballero, of Baldwin Park. Mr. Caballero attends West Covina High School and will be nominated to the West Point Military Academy.
• Sarah Pham, of Los Angeles. Ms. Pham, who attends Woodrow Wilson High School, will be nominated to the Air Force Academy.
• Carlos Abel Trigueros, of Baldwin Park. Mr. Trigueros, who attends Baldwin Park High School, will be nominated to the Air Force Academy.
• Claudia Martinez, of Azusa. Ms. Martinez, who attends St. Lucy’s Priory High School, will be nominated to the U.S. Naval Academy.
• Allyson Baker, of Covina. Ms. Baker, who attends Bishop Amat Memorial High School, will be nominated to the Naval Academy.
• Ruben Alexander Saucedo, of Covina. Mr. Saucedo, who attends Damien High School, will be nominated to the Naval Academy.
• Nathan Thai, of West Covina. Mr. Thai, who attends South Hills High School, will be nominated to the Naval Academy.
“Many teenagers at this age are busy immersing themselves in fashion, pop culture, and video games,” said Rep. Chu in announcing her nominees. “And I’m sure these young individuals also find time to have some fun of their own. But few other teenagers their age have the foresight, strength of character, and patriotism, not to mention the grades and qualifications, to apply for acceptance in one of our nation’s Service Academies. I am so proud of these young Americans, and it is my honor to nominate them on behalf of the People of the 32nd District.”
Each Member of Congress is allowed to nominate at least one individual from their District per year to four of our nation’s service academies: West Point, the Naval and Air Force Academies, and the Merchant Marine Academy. The final decision on acceptance for each candidate is made by each service academy.